Saturday, December 5, 2015

Mom


My mom loved to dance. She said that my dad was such an expert partner and they danced to real orchestras, with Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, and Guy Lombardo. I took dance lessons when I was young. Tap, latin american and ballroom. By the time that I was in my late teens, my father had stopped going to any event. So I remember a wedding of a family friend. Of course, I didn't want to dance with my mom. That was embarrassing. But I could see her tapping her toe, and dying to dance. So I sucked it up, and we went out on the floor and did a cha-cha and a waltz. The floor cleared. She followed my lead perfectly. And we got such a round of applause. And for the first time, I saw a shining 18 year old girl, excited and proud. I never regretted that.

No comments: